Since the end of November last year, Her Majesty's Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) has been rolling out a new Electronic Monitoring Service (EMS) across the country, to provide and monitor electronic tags for people who are on bail or probation. So far the scheme has "gone live" in Leicestershire, and next on the list is the Cleveland Police Force area.
Firms with a Criminal department, and solicitors who specialise in the field, will need to be aware of the following...:
- Post custody cohorts (i.e. release on parole, licence or HDC) will be going live in the Northeast NPS Regions on 1st February 2019.
- Post custody cohort exclusion zones will be limited to England and Wales and will be monitored by EMS and breach notifications will be sent to NPS and CRC.
- Court Bail and Community Sentences will be going live in Magistrates Courts and Crown Courts within the Cleveland Constabulary Force Area on 1st February 2019.
- In order to be considered for GPS Electronic Monitoring the defendants or offenders will need to reside within Cleveland Constabulary Force Area.
- Court Bail and Community Sentences cohort exclusion zones will be limited to Cleveland Constabulary Force Area and will be monitored by EMS, with breach notifications being sent to Cleveland Constabulary.
- Other Police Force Areas will go live as and when those Forces are ready to join the roll out process.”
HMPPS has prepared a desktop guide containing further information and details.